So I did this idea back in 2015 and it was really fun and it helped me. Because by the end of the year we all tend to be like “I’m so done with this year. It was crap.” And I completely agree, but I think sometimes we forget the big learning experiences of our year.
So here’s what I’ve learned this year (it’s a long list, I hope you have snacks lol):
- Don’t give up because of a tiny setback
- They don’t have to bring you down. Setbacks happen, I wish they didn’t, but they do. But honestly, without setbacks we wouldn’t learn anything and our ego would be huge.
- Cherish the little moments, especially the people in your life
- Time is precious. You shouldn’t take anyone or anything for granted.
- The impossible can be possible
- If what seems like the impossible can happen, then my future is possible. Impossible is only an opinion and it’s subjective. You honestly wouldn’t know if something is impossible unless you’ve tried it, and I highly doubt that you’ve tried it because you’re too consumed worrying about the impossibility, but you don’t have to be because there wouldn’t be impossibility without possibility.
- We wouldn’t be who we were without worry
- Worry builds character, and makes sure we’re not too prideful. But most importantly, worry helps us learn from our mistakes
- I don’t have to like someone to be whole.
- I’ve liken someone ever since kindergarten because I was looking for the perception of love, like I’ve seen on TV. But I don’t have to do that. I have myself and I have people who care about me. I don’t need to like someone to be happy.
- Running away from problems or pretending they don’t exist won’t stop them from existing
- No matter how far you run from the reality of the world, the more it catches up with you. Life is going to be real with you, whether you like it or not. Ignorance is NOT bliss
- Everyone has their own piece of hell
- We’re all going thorough our own piece of pain. No one has it worse or better than others. Don’t make assumptions, don’t make judgements.
- Don’t be your own worst enemy. Love Yourself.
- Someone else hating on us is a different story, but you hating on your yourself? No. Do not hate on the one person who has and will always be there for you no matter what. Do not. It won’t help anything.
- Sometimes we should just stop and marvel at the beauty of nature.
- We get so caught up in our lives that we forget that there’s a beautiful world out there, that just by it’s sight could give us so much comfort and peace.
- Don’t submit to pain, it’s not your friend.
- Holding hands with pain won’t make everything go away. Trust me I know. Submitting to the pain is the worst feeling in the world and it’s so so so hard to stop it. Try to use something that’ll pull you out of the hole that you’re about to fall into. For me, I have a list of happy things that have happened and a list of things I’m excited to do in the future.
- You have to earn achievement.
- It will not just walk up to you one day.
- The Mind and the Heart should work together.
- You shouldn’t stick the feelings to your heart and the knowledge to your mind. They both have to work together for you to be ok. Or else, they’ll constantly fight and it won’t help your mental health if your mind is always blaming your heart for their feelings; or your heart always blames your mind for thinking too much.
- Don’t just say sorry, mean it.
- Show that you’re sorry through your actions
- Sometimes people are put into your life to make you learn something.
- Don’t have hate in your heart towards your enemies.
- Don’t even try to have hate at all, it’s the last thing we need right now. Love to the best of your ability.
- Emotions are NOT weak.
- You’re justified to feel whatever you want to feel. If you need to cry, cry. If you want to be mad, throw a tantrum. If you want to be happy, be so happy that people question if you’re crazy. Because you’re only human, you NEVER have to explain your actions or your emotions. I would be more scared if people didn’t show their emotions.
- We can’t get do-overs.
- I know that whenever something bad or anxiety-like happens to me I always wish for a do-over so that the consuming thoughts could go away. But we don’t get them. We HAVE to live in the present, if we’re too caught up in the past then we’ll stay there forever.
- My anxiety doesn’t control me.
- Time to talk about anxiety. It has been my frenemy this whole year. It has controlled me in numerous situations. But in a way my anxiety has shown me what I like and what I don’t like. That’s not controlling, that’s just me as a human. My anxiety is present everyday but it doesn’t control me.
- I don’t belong to darkness.
- Whenever everything begins to pile up and negative things keep happening, I think that maybe this is meant for me. Maybe I deserve this. Maybe I’m meant to belong to this dark feeling. But I don’t. I don’t belong to anything. Of course I have dark moments, but I also have the not so dark moments. And those moments prove that I am capable of having a life with light, and maybe there might be darkness. But I know that once that light in my life comes and it stays forever the darkness will hardly faze me anymore.
- Think of the positive things and try to forget the negative.
- I’ve recently been doing this more this past month. I kid you not, it has made me happier. Writing positive things down has made me happier and it has made me forget the negative that my mind tends to never forget.
- Keep hope alive.
- Because if you keep hope alive, it’ll keep YOU alive
- You’re not invincible, your walls WILL fall down
- Don’t be scared to be vulnerable. No one’s invincible, not even your favorite superhero.
- Be aware of the world around you
- Don’t be so caught up in yourself that you forget the world around you. There a people living worse lives than us and we always have to remember them.
- Be you when texting.
- Don’t be a jerk when texting and think you have so much power. Just because you’re behind a screen doesn’t mean the other person can’t get mad because you didn’t say what you said to their face. It still hurts. Be you, that’s why they wanted to text you in the first place.
- Pain is a part of your story
- I know pain sucks, but who would we be without it? Pain makes us the person that we are and it builds us up. I wouldn’t have learned certain things if it wasn’t for the pain I had
- Don’t be afraid of going out of your comfort zone, it might work in your favor.
- Something I’m still working on. It’s hard for me to go out of my comfort zone considering I have anxiety. But it’s something I most definitely want to keep working on in 2017.
- Shine when people bring you down and when everything seems to be falling apart.
- It’s really hard to do this, considering when I’m in my low moments I compare myself to other people and think of how their lives are 50x better than mine. But try to shine when things seem to be feeling down. Think of all the things you are capable of.
- Wants are different from needs.
- It’s really important to know the difference between the two. The outcome will be ultimately different.
- Don’t blame your feelings.
- I’m currently struggling with this considering everything with Phoenix (the guy I like). It’s hard not to blame yourself for having feelings for someone, especially towards a really good friend. But I don’t want to blame myself for what I feel, I mean I feel it for a reason. My feelings are justified, it just hurts not to have those feelings reciprocated.
- Breathe and think rationally in dangerous situations.
- Don’t panic. I mean you can panic, but at least remember that yes this is real and no you are most definitely not alone in whatever situation you’re in.
- Don’t do a nice gesture for a thank you
- Do it because of the goodness of your heart.
- Forgiveness isn’t weak.
- It’s strong. It shows that you’re mature enough to let a trivial matter go.
- We could obliterate the stereotype of humanity
- There are little things everyday that could obliterate this stereotype. The one thing that kind of revived my faith in humanity senses this year was my experience about a toilet paper incident that I wrote about here. That opened my eyes to the fact that there are still good people in the world.
- Quit not writing stuff down or writing keywords to a complete thought and thinking you’ll remember later
- You don’t! Lol a little reminder to myself.
- In moments of doubt or haste, Just Breathe
- Just calming yourself down and remembering to take deep breathes really help in the long run. Try to close your eyes, not thinking of any worries or anything detrimental to your mental health
- Compliment yourself in the mirror as a daily regimen.
- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do this every chance you can get!!!!! This is so important! This has been something I’ve been doing a lot this year and it has helped me with my self-esteem and I’ve done it so much that I don’t even have to force myself to do it. Knowing and realizing that you’re beautiful is an amazing feeling I can’t even begin to describe
- Don’t add fuel to a fire.
- Don’t make it worse than it already is. Just let matters simmer down and calm yourself down for a few minutes before speaking or acting.
- You don’t have to please people.
- It’s not your job. Nothing is asked of you to do that. Be you. Be who you want to be, not who they want you to be.
- You don’t have to change because of anyone’s opinion.
- Like I said before be who you want to be, not who they want you to be. What’s more important is your opinion of yourself.
- Every experience is a lesson
- Things happen the way they do for a reason. Every tear we cry, every setback we encounter is a part of a story and it makes us who we are. Whatever we’re going though, it might hurt now, but just now that whatever it is it’ll contribute to who we’ll be in the future.
- Having hope and faith in God has helped me so much.
- I used to only know faith as its simple definition. I didn’t really know what it actually meant to be faithful. But once I put all of my faith in God and started trusting him and praying to him for the little and big things I grew closer to him. I started taking everything off my shoulders and giving it to Him. As a Christian, it has helped me to a great extent.
- Faith doesn’t destroy you.
- Having faith in something or someone doesn’t make you weak, it makes you stronger. It makes you want to fight harder and want to actually try. It’s the best thing in the world once you find something to put your ultimate trust in.
- You never know what the day will bring, and that should bring content not fear.
- Spontaneity is beautiful.
- You don’t need a boyfriend/girlfriend to be happy.
- You do not. They definitely won’t be your sole change of happiness. And you definitely should not be pressured to have one.
- Happiness can be something that you can have right now.
- You don’t have to wait for it in the future. You can look at the little happy things that happen to you, just cherishing that will help you be a little bit more happier.
- To trust others, you have to trust in yourself.
- How are you going to expect something from others if you can’t even expect it from yourself?
- You don’t need affirmation to feel proud of yourself.
- You don’t need someone else’s opinion to be proud of yourself. If YOU’RE proud of yourself that’s enough. Someone else’s thoughts on the matter aren’t your thoughts.
Well… That’s it. Wow, I mostly forgot about most of these but this is most of what I learned in 2016. As the days to the end of the year are getting closer, it just seems like the year is getting even more worse, but I’m glad that I got to learn the things that I learned. To be honest, this year wasn’t actually that half bad I learned a lot not only about life, but I learn a lot about me. I wouldn’t ever want to change that. Here’s to 2017: I’m scared but I’m on the edge of my seat ready to experience some new things.
So I have a couple music suggestions this week, I feel like I haven’t done this awhile (just checked 3 weeks) so I’m kind of making up for that but also I couldn’t just pick one. There was a lot of good music that I discovered this week.
Queen Elizabeth by Cheat Codes
Heathens by Twenty One Pilots
No Words by Sabrina Carpenter
Run and Hide by Sabrina Carpenter
So I’ve kind of been obsessed with Sabrina Carpenter’s Evolution album, if you have times you should go listen to it on Spotify her songs are so beautiful and her voice is so unique.
I hope that you all have a great weekend, and you remember that even though it might seem like 2017 can’t get here fast enough, remember the experiences that have made you different from the person you were in 2015. (Is it weird for anyone else to say 2015? Like wow it seems like ages agooo. I can’t even remember it ??)